We're jazzed to present our ideas for 18 things to experience in 2018, right here in Ypsilanti, Michigan!
1. Hit up the Ypsilanti Farmer’s Market! Year-round, local food producers gather downtown to flaunt their pretty produce. Ypsiplanti is also based at the Farmer’s Market - where you can get gardening supplies, succulents, and more.
2. Is there any more quintessentially #ypsireal location than the Water Tower? Take a selfie with this historic structure and bask in the legendary glow of the famed Water Tower.
3. Attend a theatrical event at EMU! The theatre department at Eastern is renowned for quality productions. Last year, they presented the comedy “Harvey” - and this year, audiences are in for a treat with “Trojan Women”, “Detroit ‘67”, and others.
5. Catch a local band at Ziggy’s - the new downtown music venue on Michigan Avenue.
6. Experience Ypsilanti’s rich automotive heritage at a car show - like the Vintage Volkswagen Festival, the Ton-Up Motorcycle and Music Festival, or the Orphan Car Show. Or, visit the Ypsilanti Automotive Heritage Museum year-round! During summer months, head to Depot Town for Cruise Nights to see vintage, restored, and unique cars.
7. Get downtown for First Fridays! This artistic, cultural event occurs most months in Ypsi - and features live music, art, special retail experiences, and more. First Fridays also works in conjunction with the Honeybee Festival, and Ypsi Pride.
9. Michigan is full of extraordinary beer. From the lagers of Wolverine State Brewing to the sours from Jolly Pumpkin, and from the kombucha ales at Unity Vibration to the locally-loved brews at Arbor Brewing Company, you’ll find tons of great beer near Ypsilanti. Check out all these and more at the annual Michigan Brewers’ Guild Summer Beer Festival in Riverside Park.
10. Spend a day with the King! The Michigan Elvisfest takes place each year in Ypsilanti, and is a beloved local tradition that every local and visitor should see!
11. Get to know Ypsilanti’s role in World War II and see the factory of Rosie the Riveter, at Willow Run and the Yankee Air Museum. If planes in flight are your thing, be sure to mark your calendar for the weekend of August 25th and 26th for Thunder Over Michigan!
12. Cheer on the Eagles at an EMU sporting event!
13. Explore the outdoors of #ypsireal at the LeFurge Woods Nature Preserve in nearby Superior Township. You’ll find wildlife, trails, a Conservancy Farm, and more.
14. Try Ypsilanti’s long-standing, well-loved restaurant on Michigan Avenue - Haab’s! Open since 1934, you’ll find classic cuisine like steak, seafood, salads, and more.
16. Shop it up at DIYpsi! This indie art fair is renowned for unique, handmade gifts - many from local artists and artisans. DIYpsi is part of the Winter Art Tour, which also features Barron Glassworks, Alloy Studios, and other Ypsilanti area galleries.
17. Ypsilanti Meals-on-Wheels Holiday Home Tour! This is a not-to-miss event for anyone who’s ever wanted to see the inside of historic Ypsilanti homes. Best of all, the event benefits a valuable not-for-profit organization serving the Ypsilanti community.
BONUS: Be sure to check out the Riverside Arts Center monthly events calendar for even more things to do!
Enjoy our content? Sign up for Ypsi Real's monthly newsletter to have it delivered straight to your inbox!